Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uaap Tsismis Corner
Welcome to Atenista.Net! > Sports and Athletics > Ateneo Blue Eagles
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
gee
It doesn't really matter to me whether Bro. Luistro has master's or doctorate degree. But based on what he has been doing re the GMA resign movement and his handling of the eligibility case, he is too young (43?) and inexperienced to be president and administrator of a large university. There is also that thing called command responsibilty. There had been a lot of issues re their OSD and he never did anything about them except to say "isolated case", unverifiable, etc.... I heard there is a move to oust him as president.
pooty tang
^^How ironic.
highjumper
QUOTE(The Guidon @ Nov 25 2005)
Recruitment in focus

Recruitment practices of UAAP schools have been cast into the spotlight once again as an effect of the issue.

The former Blue Eagle, however, reiterated that Ateneo has always followed the rules and norms of the school and the UAAP. He added that there is no athlete in the Loyola Schools that got in using the PEPTCR.

Some quarters, however, have now been questioning Ateneo’s recruitment practices, specifically in the case of fast rising center Japeth Aguilar (II AB IS) and Team B player Jobe Nkemakolam (II AB IS), who both came from Reedley International School.

Those who question the eligibility of the two players argue the fact that Aguilar, who was initially from Mapua, received marks for the first grading period from Reedley, when he had actually transferred to the said school only by the second semester. The same people are wondering why Nkemakolam was allowed to proceed to college when it is stated on his report card that he is eligible to advance to 12th grade.

Palou was quick to answer the allegations, saying that there really is no issue with the two. “Japeth and Jobe have in fact graduated from high school," he said. "They graduated from Reedley International School as certified by Reedley itself.”

He explained that what most probably happened in the case of Aguilar is that the grades that he got in Mapua were carried over to his report card in Reedley when he transferred there.

In the case of Nkemakolam, he pointed out that it is in the 11th Grade that students in Reedley graduate, unlike in other international schools. The 12th year is only in preparation for those applying to colleges in the US.

Palou then clarified that it was not Ateneo which enrolled the two in Reedley. “Definitely it is not the school itself [which paid] for their tuition [in Reedley].”

He added that the rumors were probably brought about to divert attention from La Salle.
Incidentally, the ad-hoc committee is expected to make its report by December 14. The decision of the Board, will be known before the end of the year. In the light of the recent UAAP mess. ■

The Guidon

I don't know where to post this and don't think we need a new thread for it. I'll just post this one here since it tackles a tsismis about our players. This article will answer all the questions regarding Japeth and Jobe's eligibility
jembengzon
Prelude or postscript: The De la Salle case
MY VIEWPOINT By Ricardo V. Puno, Jr.
The Philippine Star 11/26/2005

A five-man fact-finding committee of the UAAP board has begun its own inquiry into the eligibility scandal affecting certain senior varsity basketball players of the De la Salle University. It will be recalled that early this month, a somewhat abbreviated 2-page report submitted by University officials was found woefully incomplete by the board.

In that report, former assistant team manager Manny "Suntok-Takbo" Salgado and team statistician Raul "Awoo" Lacson were pinpointed as the persons who helped player Mark Benitez secure a fake college eligibility certification from the Department of Education. The two have disputed that finding, but there is no indication yet whether the University will vary the ruling on that issue. In addition, several team officials, including team manager Terry Capistrano and coach Franz Pumaren, tendered their resignations which reportedly have been accepted by University president Bro. Armin Luistro, FSC.

Although the media frenzy over the affair has largely died down, the fallout is still rumbling throughout the league. The consensus is that no real closure was achieved and that the matter, and all it implies for college amateur sports in the country, remains open.

Many DLSU alumni are dissatisfied with the "sanctions" meted out so far. They feel the penalties, if they can be called that, have been half-hearted and limp-wristed. A number of sports icons and hall-of-famers in the school have called for stronger punishment and, more important, definitive statements from the school administration about what they plan to do to avoid repetition of this embarrassing episode.

In the meantime, a few more interesting facts have been disclosed to us by a very reliable source in regard to the Mark Benitez saga. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of this story. The source has no reason to misrepresent or embellish the facts. The person told it only to put the story in some context. In that he has succeeded, but the impression one is left with is that in the ruthless quest for victory, the competition in the recruitment process for promising varsity players can become so cut-throat as to disregard if not openly violate ethical and legal boundaries.

I’m sure some will say this story is somewhat self-serving, considering the actors. I’ll tell it anyway. You be the judge.

It appears that even when Mark Benitez was in the UAAP junior basketball league, a number of schools had already marked him for possible "pirating" from his alma mater Jose Rizal University. Well over six feet, he was spotted as a possible power forward or center. His father, who has emerged as a key figure in this controversy, accompanied by a well-known recruiter of college players, brought Mark to the Ateneo University sometime in September 2001 to see then senior varsity coach Joe Lipa.

Benitez, with two other applicants, were later presented to Fr. Tito Caluag, head of alumni affairs and athletic coordinator, to discuss their possible entry into Ateneo. Benitez started reviewing for the Ateneo college entrance tests during the 2001 Christmas school break and in January of 2002, actually sat for the admission tests.

However, according to our source, in March of that year, Mark sent word that JRU would not be willing to let Mark go to another school. He was apparently told that he would fail his fourth year in high school. The source is unclear if this was a threat by the school, which would obviously be improper, or if Mark was simply told that his grades wouldn’t allow him to graduate from high school.

When informed in April of 2002 that Ateneo did not as a matter of policy accept the DepEd Philippine Educational Placement Test Certificate of Rating for admission into college, Benitez replied that he would begin practicing with the University of the East team. But later that same month, he was invited by DLSU varsity team managers and coaching staff to discuss his joining the senior basketball team. In that discussion, it was supposedly concluded that the only way Mark could get into De la Salle was if he obtained the PEPTCR certificate.

The problem was that it was already April and the PEP test was administered only in March and November of each year. The source claims that there was nevertheless an attempt to "insert" his name among the March 2002 examinees, but this was allegedly "put on hold" since the DepEd was investigating reports that the PEP certifications were being "sold" for P5,000. I know that this seems on the low side but my source insists that that was the going price.

In May, Benitez sent feelers to the Ateneo that he wasn’t happy with the DLSU "arrangements," particularly the fact that he was unable to join the team for the 2002 season. Then Ateneo coach Joel Banal did not object but referred the matter back to Fr. Caluag who, in a luncheon meeting with Mark, said the latter would have to stay in high school and finish his final year. Fr. Tito reiterated that Ateneo would not accept a PEP certification. That was Ateneo’s last formal contact with Benitez.

In June 2002, the Ateneo senior basketball team had a team-building exercise in Tagaytay for that year’s season. At lunch, they coincidentally saw the De la Salle team. Mark Benitez was among the La Salle players. In November 2002 Mark took the PEP test and the rest, as my source says, is history. In the 2003 season, Mark was a proud member of the DLSU senior varsity basketball team.

The source wonders how Mark was able to take the November PEP test. At the time, it seems, there was a DepEd regulation that the test could only be taken if the student was older than 21 years, or if he had been out of school for at least two years. In 2002, Benitez was less than 21 and was still in fourth year high school at JRU.

One can, of course, infer a lot of shenanigans in what was left out of the source’s story. But we’ll leave the fleshing out of the tale, or its total debunking, to the UAAP investigators. It may well be that all this proves, yet again, is that some are smarter than others. But if you ask me, I really doubt it.
willie wanker
reading that dong puno article, it seems as if there is more to this la salle scandal than we can see. i wonder how this will all end.

yari la salle!
atenean_blooded
QUOTE(professor @ Nov 25 2005, 10:09 AM) *
The president does not have to possess doctoral degree as he is running the administrative portion of the school business. The persons that require doctoral levels are the vice president for academic affairs and the dean of the institute that is being accredited for a certain level. There is an academic counsel that discusses the academic concerns from the institute or from the whole school.

DLSU-Taft and specifically the commerce program as well as the graduate school are the leaders in terms of accreditation in the whole country. They are level IV until the next review. This is a 3-year certification. However, CHED gives out accreditation for excellence which gives the school autonomy and is also a prestigious award. ADMU, DLSU and UP have their own centers of excellence.

But please remember these accreditation only reflects the system that the school has put into place in order to produce quality graduates. In a span of 4-5 years, do you expect the graduates to be really complete? The question on their morals and attitude towards life is not changed by the school in such a short period of time. The institutions of family and their church affects that as well as the other institutions that they interact with. Looking at the elementary and secondary education of the person affects the personality and character more than the other factors. A DLSU athlete coming from outside its system is not expected to have a better personality but may have a better character than most.

My two cents worth.

FYI I am a PACUCOA accreditor and I last accredited DLSU-Araneta this year for their level II certification.

As far as I remember, professor, all of the Ateneo's (Loyola Schools) programs have Level IV accreditation from FAAP and PAASCU.
atenista_comm
With all that's worth regarding my post with Br. Armin as the subject, I think that it has a connection to their basketball program. It is in fact important for them as an institution of higher learning. I do not have to explain it or I will just repeat Birdland's post.

As for some quarters saying that it is below the belt, that I beg to disagree. It is a fact that he has yet to earn his PhD.

Ok, enough of this. Or I will be called 'moronic' once more.
5FootCarrot
My point - and I think the point of others who have commented on the recent direction of the discussion on this thread - is that it seems that we've run out of things to say on the La Salle eligibility thing and are now basically digging up whatever dirt is handy about the school in Taft.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig about the DLSU President and whether or not he is eligible for his post. That's not our problem.

We have other things to discuss now, like the upcoming Dream Games and the FMC3 tournament, while we're waiting for new developments on the eligibility thing. I strongly recommend that we focus on these things at present.
john_paul_manahan
interesting dong puno read...
atenista_comm
QUOTE(5FootCarrot @ Nov 27 2005, 11:12 AM) *
My point - and I think the point of others who have commented on the recent direction of the discussion on this thread - is that it seems that we've run out of things to say on the La Salle eligibility thing and are now basically digging up whatever dirt is handy about the school in Taft.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig about the DLSU President and whether or not he is eligible for his post. That's not our problem.

We have other things to discuss now, like the upcoming Dream Games and the FMC3 tournament, while we're waiting for new developments on the eligibility thing. I strongly recommend that we focus on these things at present.

I think it is not about whether we still have something to say or not about La Salle. I posted the thing on Br. Armin in this specific thread, because this is the UAAP Tsismis Corner. That simple. That and calling them dimwit and nincompoops , I believe, is no different in calling them DLRT, winning-at-all-cost, bobo and other such insults.

I hope that if there is anyone who disagrees with what I write, then they post a reply. After all, this is a fora. And I do understand that people, Ateneans especially, have various thoughts and ideas.

Yes, we have thing to discuss... and there are specific threads for those. Hyukhyukhyukhyuk!!! laugh.gif

Have a great day everyone!

Nota bene: In the spirit of fairplay, here is the link to the credentials of Br. Armin Luistro FSC. http://system.dlsu.edu.ph/administration/president
radonc
If I recall correctly, the thread is "UAAP" Tsimis Corner and not a general rumour corner. If you think harping on the qualifications of the school president as far as titles attached after his name is concerned is remotely related to UAAP, I think it's rather lame. Sort of like an obstetrician looking for an indication to perform a Caesarian section on a patient that doesn't actually need it. I am one of those who holds the opinion that the direction of the thread is reaching rather low points (even for a rumour thread).
yungha
QUOTE(jembengzon @ Nov 25 2005, 10:59 PM) *
...At the time, it seems, there was a DepEd regulation that the test could only be taken if the student was older than 21 years, or if he had been out of school for at least two years...

very interesting.

fyi, from ubelt.com, mike cortez was born 11/10/80. mac cardona was born 11/13/81.
jembengzon
QUOTE(yungha @ Nov 29 2005, 11:03 AM) *
QUOTE(jembengzon @ Nov 25 2005, 10:59 PM) *

...At the time, it seems, there was a DepEd regulation that the test could only be taken if the student was older than 21 years, or if he had been out of school for at least two years...

very interesting.

fyi, from ubelt.com, mike cortez was born 11/10/80. mac cardona was born 11/13/81.

i hope someone is sitting up and taking notice of the circumvention of this rule, but examining all other schools as well. it may start with the current investigation of dlsu, but eventually should cover all members.
Cubao Fleahouse
i asked some people in the know about PEPTCR regulations, and they said hindi naman sila ganun kahigpit when it comes to age requirements. what's for certain, though, is that there is no pass or fail in the PEPTCR: it's supposed to measure your level of achievement in the secondary level and assess your fitness to undergo college work.
radonc
QUOTE(atenista_comm @ Nov 30 2005, 03:54 PM) *
QUOTE(radonc @ Nov 28 2005, 02:28 PM) *

If I recall correctly, the thread is "UAAP" Tsimis Corner and not a general rumour corner. If you think harping on the qualifications of the school president as far as titles attached after his name is concerned is remotely related to UAAP, I think it's rather lame. Sort of like an obstetrician looking for an indication to perform a Caesarian section on a patient that doesn't actually need it. I am one of those who holds the opinion that the direction of the thread is reaching rather low points (even for a rumour thread).

Point taken but not quite. So from now on, no more posts such as this (re: Mr. Yuseco):

QUOTE(Legal Eagle @ Nov 11 2005, 10:43 AM) *
Francis Yuseco, Jr. is indeed a "colorful" character - let's just say mahilig manggantso. Here's a case involving him which reached the Supreme Court :

SECOND DIVISION
[G.R. No. 138085. November 11, 2004.]
AZOLLA FARMS and FRANCISCO R. YUSECO, petitioners, vs. COURT OF APPEALS and SAVINGS BANK OF MANILA, respondents.

D E C I S I O N

AUSTRIA-MARTINEZ, J :

This is an appeal by certiorari under Rule 45 of the Rules of Court seeking the reversal of the Decision dated February 19, 1999 rendered by the Court of Appeals in CA-G.R. CV No. 53076, which reversed and set aside the decision of the trial court in Civil Case No. 83-20514, and the Resolution dated March 31, 1999, denying petitioners' motion for reconsideration.

Petitioner Francis R. Yuseco, Jr., is the Chairman, President and Chief Operating Officer of petitioner Azolla Farms International Philippines (Azolla Farms), a corporation duly organized under existing laws and engaged in the development, exploitation, production, manufacturing, promotion, marketing, and sale of natural, organic minerals, including its by-products, with the ultimate objective of utilizing said products for the promotion of food production.

In 1982, Azolla Farms undertook to participate in the National Azolla Production Program wherein it will purchase all the Azolla produced by the Azolla beneficiaries in the amount not exceeding the peso value of all the inputs provided to them. The project also involves the then Ministry of Agriculture, the Kilusang Kabuhayan at Kaunlaran, and the Kiwanis. To finance its participation, petitioners applied for a loan with Credit Manila, Inc., which the latter endorsed to its sister company, respondent Savings Bank of Manila (Savings Bank). The Board of Directors of Azolla Farms, meanwhile, passed a board resolution on August 31, 1982, authorizing Yuseco to borrow from Savings Bank in an amount not exceeding P2,200,000.00.

The loan having been approved, Yuseco executed a promissory note on September 13, 1982, promising to pay Savings Bank the sum of P1,400,000.00 on or before September 13, 1983. The net proceeds of P1,225,443.31 was released to FNCB Finance, the mortgagee of a 548-square meter lot with residential house owned by Yuseco. With the release of the proceeds, FNCB Finance released the mortgage, and in turn, the property was mortgaged to Savings Bank as collateral for the loan. Yuseco and Francisco Bargas also executed an assignment of their shares of stock in Azolla Farms as additional security. Yuseco then executed two other promissory notes on September 27, 1982 and January 4, 1983, both for the amount of P300,000.00.

However, the Azolla Farms project collapsed. Blaming Savings Bank, petitioners Yuseco and Azolla Farms filed on October 3, 1983 with the Regional Trial Court of Manila (Branch 25), a complaint for damages. In essence, their complaint alleges that Savings Bank unjustifiably refused to promptly release the remaining P300,000.00 which impaired the timetable of the project and inevitably affected the viability of the project resulting in its collapse, and resulted in their failure to pay off the loan. Thus, petitioners pray for P1,000,000.00 as actual damages, among others.

Respondent Savings Bank filed its Answer denying the allegations in the complaint. It contends that there was evidence that Yuseco was using the loan proceeds for expenses totally unrelated to the project and they decided to withhold the remaining amount until Yuseco gave the assurance that the diversion of the funds will be stopped. Respondent bank believed that the 90-day interval between the two tranches could not have impaired the operation of the project, and petitioners' subsequent receipt of the proceeds confirmed their agreement to the terms of the loan.

And the Supreme Court found, in part:

xxx Obviously, this case is an attempt by petitioners to extricate themselves from their obligations; but they cannot be allowed to have their cake and eat it, too.

On hindsight, this is the Tsismis thread, after all. My own take. Your own take. Hyukhyukhyukhyukhyuk!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

dry.gif
atenista_comm
^^^^ Hyukhyukhyukhyukhyuk!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
ai!caramba!
And the pressure begins....

Days after the decision to replay the game between UE and DLSU was handed down this year, a green alum who worked for the PSC in the past allegedly called a UAAP official and asked why the board opted for a replay. After debating with the board member and failing to get the desired reaction, the alum allegedly tried a different approach, he mentioned that his relative is a Quezon City Councilor and so is Mr. Suave. According to the UAAP official, the green alum allegedly threatened to make life difficult for the UAAP with the help of his two QC councilor. In a veiled threat, he mentioned the possibilty of revoking the tax excempt rule for the UAAP in all the games played in QC. Nothing happened with regard to the threat.

Fast forward to December.......

December 14, judgement day. The week before judgement day, Mr. Suave was allegedly pushing for the repeal of the tax exempt rule of the UAAP in QC. And get this, he wants the payment of taxes retroactive (5 years)!

Same threat, different crime......Abangan ang drama
5FootCarrot
Wala na kasi siyang bread. tongue.gif

No, seriously, he's not thinking very well. (Big surprise.) The tax exemption for the UAAP is an incentive for the league to hold its big events in Araneta, which means more business for the city in terms of restaurant revenues, parking fees, etc.

So Franz is apparently willing to deprive QC businesses - and the city to which they pay their taxes - of this income just because his house of cards has come crashing down. Congratulations, dude, you're a bigger jerk than I thought.

If this comes to pass, Franz's constituents should be informed at the next election about who's taking their additional income away from them.
ai!caramba!
Cleaning House....

Two days before the announcement of the results of the of the UAAP investigation regarding the DLSU eligibilty issue, there is word that DLSU officials would be batting for a voluntary five year suspension. The alleged reason behind the move is to guarantee the success of the cleansing process. It is reported that there 26 athletes in their athletic roster who took the PEP Test. Out of the 26 athletes, reports say that 6 are from the basketball program.

This move if sincere, would be the logical thing to do. But 5 years is too long a time for La Salle to be absent from the UAAP (wheres the fun in that). It doesn't take that long to clean house. One year would be enough penalty for the school.
King Arthur
... A one year suspension is just a slap on the wrist, something that I find unacceptable specially after the Dream Games Incident. While I am for totally kicking La Salle out of the League, I might find a 5-year suspension ok.
... Remember guys, what La Salle did was pre-meditated and only had their own interests in mind. They CHEATED, and after that they tried to COVER UP. Now you're saying that Mr. Suave is trying to coerce some quarters to come out with a favorable decision.
... If they withdraw tax exemptions in QC.,( I doubt if he is capable of doping this), then lets just bring the games somewhere else.
.... La Salle has jerkef us all enough. Now its time for them to jerk themselves in whatever League they wish, but not with us, and not in the UAAP.
atenean_blooded
Sheesh.

Mr. Pumaren, sige na, magaling ka na na basketball coach.

Pwede bang manilbihan ka na lang nang maayos sa Quezon City?

Pwede bang imbes na UAAP pa yang tirahin mo e tirahin mo na lang yung mga lugar na HINDI PA LIGTAS SA CARNAPPING?

PWEDE BANG MAKIPAGTULUNGAN KA NA LANG PARA AYUSIN YUNG DRAINAGE NG KATIPUNAN?

PWEDE BANG GAWAN MO NA LANG NG PARAAN ANG MGA DISPUTE NG MGA SQUATTER SA LUGAR?

PWEDE BANG ORDINANCE NA NAGPAPALAKAS NA LANG SA SANGGUNIANG KABATAAN ANG AYUSIN MO?

PWEDE BANG MAKIPAGTULUNGAN KA PARA AYUSIN YUNG MGA KABLE NG KURYENTE AT TELEPONO AT SIRANG PATUBIG SA LUGAR NATIN?

KONTING SERBISYO NAMAN, FRANZ PUMAREN. TAMA NA YANG UAAP AT PAGPAPATAYO NG BASKETBALL COURT.

PWEDE BA YON?
MrGotti
Serbisyong bayan? Hindi niya kaya gawin yun! Lasalista Yan, baka na kalimutan mo na?!
jembengzon
Still no verdict on La Salle case

First posted 01:15am (Mla time) Dec 13, 2005
By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on page A17 of the December 13, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

DE LA Salle University’s fate in the University Athletics Association of the Philippines remains uncertain after league president Fr. Max Rendon declared yesterday that no decision has been reached going into tomorrow’s board meeting.

“The investigation is still ongoing,” said Rendon. “We cannot reveal anything right now. We don’t want to be caught flat-footed by the public.”

The UAAP board formed its own fact-finding committee after La Salle announced last October that players Mark Lester Benitez and Timoteo Gatchalian III had submitted fake high school records that allowed them to play for the Archers.

As a result, La Salle volunteered to return its 2004 championship trophy.

Rendon assured that although no deadline has been set, the five-man panel has been conducting an in-depth probe.

“This is a very important decision,” said Rendon. “The investigating committee is doing its job. I already received an update and they’ve been conducting interviews. We just can’t tell them right now. We have to protect the privacy of the people we’ve interviewed.”

The committee, headed by Fr. Nat de Sagun of University of Santo Tomas, summoned three weeks ago several key personalities said to be involved in the eligibility scandal.

Among them were Benitez, Gatchalian, Archers assistant team manager Manny Salgado, contractual statistician Raul Lacson and executive vice president Dr. Carmelita Quebengco. Department of Education officials reportedly have also been invited.

La Salle submitted to the UAAP board the results of its own investigation, which tagged Salgado and Lacson as the team officials who helped secure the players’ spurious documents. Both denied the allegation.

“We can’t reveal our decision without any basis,” said Rendon.

Other members of the investigating committee are Dr. Ricardo Matibag of 2005 UAAP host Adamson University, Josie de Leon of Far Eastern University, Arlene Royo of National University and legal counsel Rene Villa.

In 1994, Adamson was suspended from the UAAP for one year after the league discovered that the Falcons fielded Marlou Aquino despite academic deficiencies.

Rendon said the main agenda in tomorrow’s board meeting will be the eligibility of athletes in the second-semester sports.

The La Salle eligibility scandal broke out after the university discovered that Benitez and Gatchalian submitted fake certificates of their Philippine Educational Placement Test, an exam taken mostly by out-of-school youths to get into college.

No UAAP report yet on La Salle probe
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
manila standard

THE five-man committee tasked to investigate the use of ineligible players by La Salle and spurious documents submitted by players Mark Benitez and Tim Gatchalian won’t submit a report to the University Athletic Association of the Philippines board when it meets tomorrow.

UAAP president Fr. Maximino Rendon told Viva Sports/Standard Today that legal counsel Rene Villa, who is also a member of the committee, informed him that he “won’t reveal anything until they complete their work and submit a final report.”

“The committee is still investigating people and have already interviewed several individuals including officials of the Department of Education National Testing Center as well as the La Salle registrar who had resigned,” said Fr. Rendon.

He said the committee was still talking to people in the admission and other departments of La Salle.

“This would take some time,” he added.

Fr. Rendon said Villa wanted to “protect the people they have interviewed and will not mention their names.”

The UAAP president said he was confident that the committee was “doing well and they are doing what they are supposed to do.”

“What we are just going to prove is whether La Salle had some culpability,” Fr. Rendon added.
peking man
don't get too worked up about the tax threat. franz is just one councilor among many. and even if it came down to withdrawing the games from araneta, lots of questions will be asked. the many enterprising journalists who cover city hall will report soon enough that the exiled la salle coach proposed it to the council. and people will put two and two together - that pumaren is a vindictive bastard, isn't he?

the real question we need to ask is, why is the UAAP negotiating sweetheart deals with local governments for tax exemptions? why was the league put in this position, where it is vulnerable to threats from small-time politicians? and when the tax exemption was negotiated in the first place, did franz have anything to do with it?
5FootCarrot
QUOTE(peking man @ Dec 13 2005, 07:01 AM) *
don't get too worked up about the tax threat. franz is just one councilor among many. and even if it came down to withdrawing the games from araneta, lots of questions will be asked. the many enterprising journalists who cover city hall will report soon enough that the exiled la salle coach proposed it to the council. and people will put two and two together - that pumaren is a vindictive bastard, isn't he?

Hee. Well, since this is the tsismis thread, I think I can post that any proposal from Franz is bound to have only limited support from his fellow councilors and others in the QC local government. I heard that he is known as "that guy who never comes to the meetings."

the real question we need to ask is, why is the UAAP negotiating sweetheart deals with local governments for tax exemptions? why was the league put in this position, where it is vulnerable to threats from small-time politicians? and when the tax exemption was negotiated in the first place, did franz have anything to do with it?

Personally, I'm wondering whether the "sweetheart deal" was actually offered by the local government as an incentive for the UAAP to keep its business in Cubao. (Although I honestly can't think of a better place to hold UAAP main events.) And I'm thinking that the UAAP accepted because it was good for their bottom line.

I have no idea whether Franz had anything to do with this, though. I suppose that when he got the idea to revoke the UAAP's tax exemption, he was thinking "Franz giveth, and Franz taketh away..." rolleyes.gif
Pizza Guy
QUOTE(atenean_blooded @ Dec 12 2005, 12:10 PM) *
Sheesh.

Mr. Pumaren, sige na, magaling ka na na basketball coach.

Pwede bang manilbihan ka na lang nang maayos sa Quezon City?

Pwede bang imbes na UAAP pa yang tirahin mo e tirahin mo na lang yung mga lugar na HINDI PA LIGTAS SA CARNAPPING?

PWEDE BANG MAKIPAGTULUNGAN KA NA LANG PARA AYUSIN YUNG DRAINAGE NG KATIPUNAN?

PWEDE BANG GAWAN MO NA LANG NG PARAAN ANG MGA DISPUTE NG MGA SQUATTER SA LUGAR?

PWEDE BANG ORDINANCE NA NAGPAPALAKAS NA LANG SA SANGGUNIANG KABATAAN ANG AYUSIN MO?

PWEDE BANG MAKIPAGTULUNGAN KA PARA AYUSIN YUNG MGA KABLE NG KURYENTE AT TELEPONO AT SIRANG PATUBIG SA LUGAR NATIN?

KONTING SERBISYO NAMAN, FRANZ PUMAREN. TAMA NA YANG UAAP AT PAGPAPATAYO NG BASKETBALL COURT.

PWEDE BA YON?

Was he one of those people responsible for having those bikelanes on Kamias-Langka-Xavierville Avenue? Honestly, those streets aren't even wide enough for bikelanes. Just a waste of paint.
atenean_blooded
Well, I remember Franz being mighty pissed off when we creamed them in 2002. The tricycle drivers reported (and this may be kuwentong kutsero, but it makes for a nice laugh) that apparently, when he arrived at his house near Xavierville phase I (near what what is now a Zagu station), he found a giant "WE BELIEVE" banner and several "WALA" posters tacked to his gate.
5FootCarrot
A MUSICAL INTERLUDE to the tune of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" (traditional Christmas carol)

God rest ye merry, Green Archers,
Let nothing you dismay,
The show will definitely still go on
Next UAAP Op'ning Day;
So just go find some other league
On whom tricks you can play.
O Batricevic is such a creepy boy,
A creepy boy,
O Batricevic is such a creepy boy!

DISCLAIMER: Because the UAAP is still deliberating the DLSU case, a suspension is still basically "tsismis." I'm just having a little fun with the idea.
jonee666
ano pong bagong tsismis? biggrin.gif
atenista_comm
Posted by
usp92

in Pinoyexchange.com.

Sorry, no names yet at this point, but those who follow the recruiting buzz in various fora will know for certain who these players are. In no particular order, the Loyola recruiting machine has identified these six players (two bigs, a Kenneth Duremdes-type swingman and three guards,) as good enough to roost at either Team A or B.

1.) Player J is a sleeper those in the know refer to as having come from "Down Unda." A legit big at a wiry 6-6, recruiters say he compares favorably with Ateneo's own Japeth Aguilar. Recruit J has agility, defensive presence and the good fortune of having come from an academically renowned institution. With player J, the possible absence of hulking Gian Chiu from the Blue Eagles in years to come should be addressed nicely.

2.) Player S1 is the Kenneth Duremdes-type Blue Eagle faithful have been raving about. Standing at least 6-2, the kid has range, hops and an innate understanding of the game. At this point, his game already screams RP Youth team, and he's only 16 years old. I daresay, this guy is already a lock for the Blue Eagles. Academic preparation at this point though, will be key.

3.) Player R plays the 5 spot in the province, though at "only" 6-4, I imagine he will have to convert his game to play the 4. In fairness, even as he has stamped his class at the provincial level, he will still need some work on his game as far as quickness and finishing the break go. Think Kish Co with Ford Arao's "gulang" and an Eman Nazarenoesque passion for the game.

4.) S2 is probably a lock as well. A well-built 5-10, the kid can shift between 1 and 2 with ease at the HS level, although we expect him to settle in at 1 for the college game. Am not certain if he will crack the line-up on his very first year, though he will profit a lot (and he has!) by just scrimmaging with the likes of Bughao and a vastly-improved Escalona. Note that he is an MVP for an established league though. Thus, there are concerns that his school may be loathe to let him jump ship. A familiar story?

5.) Player P is also a guard. He stands around 5-11, give or take an inch. It is said that this kid is tough and takes no crap from anyone on the court. Interestingly, he is also a bit of a mystery because aside from the recommender and scout, not very many people from Manila have seen him play. My guess? A toughening stint at Team B for a year.

6.) S3's announced plan of taking the ACET came as a big surprise. It being a more or less accepted fact that he was headed a certain school's way. Recent events though have caused S3 to rethink his options. By rights, the kid is definitely star material. He has moxie, talent and boy-next-doorish looks that could claw at Chris Tiu's fan base. A legit 1 who can grow to 6 feet when summer comes around, he will probably make a bigger splash if he ends up at UP and benefit from the coaching excellence of the legendary Joe Lipa.

So there you have it, 6 new applicants at the aerie. A baleful of talents for sure. The question is, if they do end up at Loyola, what becomes of equally talented and heralded players like Baldos, Escueta, Estoesta, Villame and Gian Lucas?

Tsismis tsismis... hyukhyukhyukhyuk!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
atenean_blooded
Tsismis:

Dahil wala na ang La Salle (at Gurangrene) next season, ang bagong slogan ng UAAP para sa Season 69, ay:

UAAP 69: Lean, Mean College Action
atenista_comm
QUOTE(atenean_blooded @ Dec 30 2005, 05:30 PM) *
Tsismis:

Dahil wala na ang La Salle (at Gurangrene) next season, ang bagong slogan ng UAAP para sa Season 69, ay:

UAAP 69: Lean, Mean College Action

Ooops... baka ma-hurt ang mga Gurangrene sa patsutadang di sila-lean. hyukhyukhyukhyuk!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
5FootCarrot
Oh, wow, what a wealth of blind items. I have no idea who those supposed blue-chippers are.

Really, I don't.
Les Infanterie
player S1 is the most interesting for me. we need guards of those height who can slash and drive down in the paint just like kenneth duremdes. (or maybe a lebron james? type of player but a lot subtle.. hehe) and can shoot some from a distance.

interesting tsismis.. (makapagtanong-tanong nga sa ibang sources...)
pooty tang
According to the greenies Simon Atkins has not taken any entrance exam to any other school yet aside from the DLSU. I doubt if Atkins would be considering any other school outside of DLSU or maybe CSB to play college ball for. Even if DLSU won't be playing in the UAAP for a while I believe the DLSU boosters would be willing to foot the bill of his college education in DLSU for the meantime.
jkad
Atkins is good but would you want to have a player who doesn't really want to be here?
atenista_comm
Let them have Atkins til Kingdom comes. Or else we'd never see the end of the envious dimwits and nincompoops. As someone mentioned in Gaypride aka Archerpride.com, Atkins should be in La Salle since he had free education in Zobel... tsk tsk... onga naman, win at all costs!!!
bearyblue
is simon the first given name of atkins?
BLUE HORSE
QUOTE(5FootCarrot @ Dec 31 2005, 02:38 PM) *
Oh, wow, what a wealth of blind items. I have no idea who those supposed blue-chippers are.

Really, I don't.

Ask your tito Joe or Cackler for info, some of their names have been mentioned previously in this fora as early as last season. Here are some hints:

Me kausap na si Estoesta in Dodong S1. Basketball is part of his DNA make-up, just ask his father and brothers.

"Thank you" S2 for choosing Ateneo! You definitely made the right decision.

S3 will probably end up playing for UP if and when the UAAP spanks the booty of LaSalle.

No truth to the rumor that the new big man is a kababayan of Zion nor is he the kabalen replacement of Gian Chiu.

Me kapalit na si Kramer but is he a chick magnet like Kramer!

Has "Rodrigo" met the residency requirements for imports?

Is Ateneo hiding any players in Ateneo de Pasig? How many?

Happy new year na lang!
5FootCarrot
QUOTE(pooty tang @ Jan 2 2006, 02:22 PM) *
According to the greenies Simon Atkins has not taken any entrance exam to any other school yet aside from the DLSU. I doubt if Atkins would be considering any other school outside of DLSU or maybe CSB to play college ball for. Even if DLSU won't be playing in the UAAP for a while I believe the DLSU boosters would be willing to foot the bill of his college education in DLSU for the meantime.

The greenies probably wouldn't want to admit that Atkins is considering other schools. Of course they would want everyone to think that he's in the bag.

QUOTE(jkad @ Jan 2 2006, 04:12 PM) *
Atkins is good but would you want to have a player who doesn't really want to be here?

No.

QUOTE(bearyblue @ Jan 3 2006, 02:15 AM) *
is simon the first given name of atkins?

Yes.

And now, a random thought - according to an article in teamateneo.com, when people asked Chris Tiu's dad about Chris' choice of college, they always asked "Where is Chris going to play?" and Mr. Tiu always replied "Don't you mean 'Where is Chris going to study?'"

I wonder if Mr. Atkins makes a similar reply when people ask him where his son will go for college. (Of course, it's also possible that no one asks him because Simon and DLSU have some sort of "MU" thing going on.)
Salsa Caballero
Atkins, "MU"?

Maybe umalis? wink.gif

OT: Nice chismis, especially about Rodrigo. Sana nga magdilang-anghel.
5FootCarrot
QUOTE(Salsa Caballero @ Jan 4 2006, 10:04 AM) *
Atkins, "MU"?

Maybe umalis? wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Pwede rin!
ranger
And I always thought MU means "Mag-Un"
6dbreezeof
MU - Mimon Utkins.
yungha
this isn't really chismis anymore, since anyone can just drop by moro and see for himself. but maybe "S2" is eric salamat, ncaa jrs mvp and member of the 2005 ncaa jrs champion baste staglets, who already practices with the Blue Eagles from time to time. in fact he suited up in the practice game versus emilio aguinaldo college a few weeks back.
5FootCarrot
I hate to disappoint those who have been spreading rumors that Rabeh Al-Hussaini has left the Ateneo and the Blue Eagles, but he was spotted watching his teammates' game against Lyceum last week, and with xeroxed readings for class in hand. Word is that Rabeh's happily busy with schoolwork, and that the only way Ateneo will throw out his uniform is with him still wearing it.
cackler
QUOTE(5FootCarrot @ Feb 5 2006, 12:26 AM) *
I hate to disappoint those who have been spreading rumors that Rabeh Al-Hussaini has left the Ateneo and the Blue Eagles, but he was spotted watching his teammates' game against Lyceum last week, and with xeroxed readings for class in hand. Word is that Rabeh's happily busy with schoolwork, and that the only way Ateneo will throw out his uniform is with him still wearing it.

Yup. He is just being rested. Dalawang beses na sprain. Ayaw kasi ipahinga. Pinipilit maglaro. May trangkaso din.
atenean_blooded
Ay. Bad chismax yun a.

Dapat, dito na lang ang chismax:

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242479
atenista_comm
QUOTE(atenean_blooded @ Feb 5 2006, 10:48 AM) *
Ay. Bad chismax yun a.

Dapat, dito na lang ang chismax:

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242479

Hear hear!!! tongue.gif
bit_bang_boom
All of this enticing info is getting excited for the next basketball season! I just hope that the UAAP brings in another team to replace "them". Any rumors about new teams, even if not in the near future? I mean... IMHO, it's already a bit boring with only 8 teams... with the near certainty that that'll go down to seven teams next year... well you get the picture.

(Magsama na kayo, NCAA at UAAP!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.