Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Alan Paguia an ateneo alumni?
Welcome to Atenista.Net! > Current Issues > Current Issues and Events
Mark23
He is the ateneo law professor who is defending Erap now. Lately, he produced a thesis which attacks the Macapagal presidency as the illegimate government
tennis_schlager
sorry just a pet peeve of mine... but i think you wanted to ask if Alan Paguia is an ateneo alumnus. alumni = plural
forgotten.soul.of.the.abyss
alan paguia claims to be an ateneo dean of law (sa rockwell). i can't believe this is happening. after the 2 recent people's revolution, hindi pa rin maka-get through sa utak nitong dean natin that Erap is no longer the president of the republic. lakas mang-ambisyon! how much was this guy paid to defend an ignorant ex-president?
barucho
actually may point naman talaga siya e...unconstitutional talaga ang pagrise ni gloria as president...i agree with him...

pero parang yun na lang yung focus ng defense nila...hindi yung plunder case ni ERAP
Atty. Alan Paguia is a professor in the Ateneo Law School.

Fr. Joaquin Bernas is the Dean of the Ateneo law school.

Oh, Atty. Paguia is also an alumni of the ALS.

[ June 22, 2003: Message edited by: 8210 ]
Les Infanterie
Originally posted by kabesang tales:
alan paguia claims to be an ateneo dean of law (sa rockwell). i can't believe this is happening. after the 2 recent people's revolution, hindi pa rin maka-get through sa utak nitong dean natin that Erap is no longer the president of the republic. lakas mang-ambisyon! how much was this guy paid to defend an ignorant ex-president?

i definitely agree with you! i also wonderhow much was paid to him... ginagatasan ang nakaw na kayaman ni estrada! :eek:
In fairness to Atty. Paguia, I was his student in his class in the law school, and I think he honestly believes in what he is advocating.

Take note however, that he has no love lost for the Supreme Court, one of his previous cases having been dismissed when the SC chose to disregard a rule. He "appealed" his case to God by publishing a petition in major newspapers. The High Court sent him an order to show cause why he should not be disbarred. He didn't reply (daw) but the SC chose not to do anything about it.

I think Atty. Paguia wrote his book, then he was approached by Estrada if he would be willing to take on his case.

It's a pity, Atty. Paguia has always been staunchly against corruption in the government and corrupt public officials, but he is being used by those people whom he has always spoken against. It's easy to speculate about his intentions since we don't really know him personally, but having been his student in his class which he taught passionately, I think I'd give him the benefit of doubt.
blukatips
Passions sometimes obfuscate even the supposedly righteous thinkers.

Maybe like Paguia's case.
the Boss
In fairness to Atty. Allan Paguia, the veracity of all the accusations against Erap has nothing to do with the legitimacy of GMA's presidency. We have two separate issues there. I am only speculating here, but I think Atty. Paguia is just trying to protect the integrity of the Philippine Constitution. The utter disregard of the fundamental law of the land is indeed dangerous.
oracion_seis
i agree with the Boss, i believe what Atty. Alan Paguia is fighting for is the Constitutionality of the Arroyo administration. smile.gif
raggster
the problem is that his request for a ruling presumes that there is indeed a bias against Erap in the SC, and that the SC ruled against Erap based on this bias.

i don't know, it just doesn't sound right. especially the "presumes" part.
mangtsito
I have no doubt that Atty. Paguia is well aware of how unpopular his arguments against the SC are. And as for his supposed advocacy of the integrity of the Constitution, I'm ready to give him the benefit of the doubt.

What I'm just not sure of is W.O.N. he is aware at all of how he is being used by the Estrada camp in delaying the plunder case against the ex-president. We can be sure that in the event of the Sandiganbayan junking Atty. Paguia's arguments, the Estrada camp can again come up with a new lawyer who will attempt to delay the hearings on the same grounds as Atty. Paguia and those before him have given.

In this case, it is Atty. Paguia's judgement that would be at fault, and not his integrity. I'm just thankful that he is not being as obnoxious as Rene Saguisag.
Originally posted by the Boss:
Atty. Allan Paguia

By the way, it's Alan. Allan is my classmate's name. smile.gif
blukatips
Originally posted by oracion_seis:
i agree with the Boss, i believe what Atty. Alan Paguia is fighting for is the Constitutionality of the Arroyo administration. smile.gif

Paguia IS merely fighting it out by virtue of the lawyer-client relationship established, and not in defense of the fundamental law or out of a patriotic sentiment.

By now, it should be non-issue because it has long been decided by the Supreme Court.

The SC upheld the LEGITIMACY of the Macapagal Arroyo administration.

erap's positive act of ABANDONING Malacanang is the antithesis to his claim.

Justice Vitug wrote:
"Intentio mea imponet nomen meo (My intent gives a name to my act).
blukatips
Originally posted by barucho:
actually may point naman talaga siya e...unconstitutional talaga ang pagrise ni gloria as president...i agree with him...

pero parang yun na lang yung focus ng defense nila...hindi yung plunder case ni ERAP

The undisputed fact that a supposedly duly-elected president VOLUNTARILY vacated Malacanang must make the legitimacy a non-isssue by now.
ranger
I tend to agree with the one who posited that Paguia's judgment, not his integrity, is questionable. Even a lawyer has to choose his battles.

The more cynical of us would say that "value (as in monetary)-based" judgments would be the best incentive. But I don't know the man so kanya na lang yun.
iceman
atty paguia is an anarchist for hire (for the highest bidder). imagine contesting the supreme court and laying his arguments in the media? he is destroying our already weak institutions. fabulous claims of legitimate arguments. kakahiya siya. even the other veteran erap lawyers dont agree w/ his strategy. he should be disbarred for not doing his job as a lawyer but taking his job as an anarchist much too seriously (for quite a good compensation im sure).
BlueEagle_the_King
I believe in Atty. Paguia's claims.

indeed, if we won't have any regard for the constitution, then chaos will rule the country.

can anyone tell me where it is written in the constitution that it is a sign of resignation once the President physically leaves the palace?

can anyone tell me where it is written in the constitution that the supreme court has power to proclaim the the president is no longer president without the letter of resignation? aren't the executive and legislative branches supposed to be separate bodies?

can anyone answer this riddle? if the supreme court makes a mistake or a crime perhaps...to which court will they be tried?

+amdg
Empress-of-The-Sun
Statement from Erap's lawyers:

We will defend Erap, until he runs out of money tongue.gif
iceman
blue eagle,

there was indeed a clear state of incapacity to rule on erap's part. that is already a very good basis for the common sensical view rather then the technical mumbo jumbo most lawyers engage in.

if the supreme court makes unconstitutional decisions , they are still subject to impeachment proceedings from a lot of monkeys and crocs in congress.

could u also pls answer this: if erap was still president, wouldnt we be devoid of any constitution at all due to chaos and civil war? wouldnt there be more chaos in that? wouldnt there be a possibility that the phils could become some sort of a 2nd liberia?

when the govt stands still and basic services are inexistent, chaos will follow. if the supreme court did not act fast under sound judgement, we would have no constitution to speak of and we will be under military adventurists like honasan and trillanes . if that happens the phils. and burma wouldnt be very far apart.
joescoundrel
Atty Alan Paguia was my low professor during my brief incarceration at the Law School in Statutory Construction. He was indeed very knowledgeable and passionate as a teacher. However his fascination with always getting in the face of the Supreme Court has turned into a 10-ton chip on his shoulders, and it was very apparent to every one of us who were in his classes. Still, I wouldn't begrudge him, Erap or any other Filipino the right to question the Supreme Court, as it is after all a merely human institution and thus subject to all of the frailties of anything human. I would however not be surprised if he was being paid a tidy sum to be Erap's lawyer. What I can't stand about this guy is that he is exactly what he hates about the Supreme Court: He thinks the law is NOT what the Supreme Court says it is, but what HE says it is. When he took out that full page ad a few years back and came within an inch of disbarment he sort of took it easy. I'm not absolutely sure about the details of the case but it involved a fee upwards of P50 million for him if he won. So I guess it wouldn't surprise anyone if he had a bone to pick with the Supreme Court.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.